Saturday, March 18, 2006

Hole in the wall

I make regular visits to the (not very) local branch of my bank to cash a cheque. It's the town where I used to work, and I've banked there for nigh on fifty years. I can remember when they had fifteen cashiers serving. Over the years, the number has steadily reduced, and a few years back they had a major refurbishment and ended up with five counter positions, which were hardly ever all manned at the same time. Now they've blocked off two of these positions, so we're down to three. Despite notices in the bank assuring us that this is all "progress" designed to "improve our service to our customers", I now regularly have to queue for ten minutes or more to cash my cheque. "Why don't you use the cash machine?" is the bank's response when I grumble about this. Well, the answer's quite simple - in order to do what I need to do with it, I need my money in certain specific denominations, and you can't get that from the cash machine - the machine decides what denominations it's going to give you. So by reducing the counter positions, the bank is trying to force me to use an inferior system which doesn't meet my needs - and this is progress??

No comments: