Thursday, January 26, 2006

Roamin' in the gloamin'

I'm glad to see that the EU are looking into the cost of using a mobile phone abroad. There's no doubt of the value of being able to keep in touch while on holiday in foreign parts, and I'm perfectly prepared to pay somewhat over the odds for the privilege, but I have to say that I have been rather shocked at just how much over the odds the charges can be. The main problem is of course that you're not necessarily aware of just what the cost will be until you get your bill - by which time it's too late to take any remedial action. When abroad, we've learned to use our mobile prudently - text messages mainly - but I think it should be made clear up front just what the charges will be, and this business of being charged from both ends does I think need looking into.

No comments: