Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Nuclear ambition.

The Foreign Secretary has described as "serious" Iran's resumption of its nuclear programme. He of course believes that their aim is to produce an atomic bomb, despite their insistence that their intentions are purely peaceful. Am I worried - of course I am. The thought of nuclear war terrifies me. But who are we to say who is entitled to have atomic weapons, and who not? The thought of Iran having the Bomb worries me no more than that Israel have it, India and Pakistan have it, and yes, that the US, Russia, China, France and ourselves have it. The idea that in order to be allowed to join the Nuclear Club you should have to pass some sort of test - the main criterion apparently being that you should be "in" with the US - smacks of breathtaking arrogance. I would rather nobody had the Bomb, but given all those that have, I don't see why we should deny Iran, or anyone else for that matter.

No comments: