Monday, December 26, 2005

As Tiny Tim would say...

Highly professional and well-presented Queen's speech, as usual. But did my ears deceive me? Did she, as Head of the Church of England accept, however tentatively, that other faiths may have something worth saying? If so, God (whoever he or she may be) bless her. I was brought up as a churchgoer, but the one thing I have never been able to accept is the idea that salvation (whatever that is) is only open to Christians - all others are damned. I mentioned that I was at a funeral the other day, and the vicar gave the usual reading - you know the one "In my Father's house are many mansions..." Well actually she used one of the new translations, but I have always preferred the language of the Authorised Version, but the bit that always grates with me is "...no man cometh unto the Father but by me...", which as far as I can see means that something like seven out of every ten members of mankind are doomed to eternal hellfire. Even as a child, I remember being confused as to how a religion which preached love, tolerance and forgiveness could take such a stance. If there's any hope for the world, the major religions have got to come to terms with, and accept each other. I have the greatest respect for the Queen, and if she has taken a first small step in this direction, then my respect is increased a hundredfold.

No comments: