Tuesday, November 08, 2005

If you can't stand the heat...

I personally would not ever have volunteered to be a policeman - I just wouldn't fancy the sort of things I might have had to deal with. I have the greatest admiration for those who do go into that profession. What I find less acceptable is that, having made that choice and then having had to deal with the nasty aspects which go with the job, some of them are now seeking compensation for what they have had to put up with. We seem to have imported the American approach that, if something unpleasant happens to you, somebody must be at fault and therefore liable to pay up. The idea that, to quote one of the less pleasant modern sayings - shit happens, no longer seems to register. I'm sure my gran would have had an appropriate saying - and it wouldn't have been the one I've just used!

No comments: