Sunday, October 30, 2005

Tick tock - aargh!

At an interview I once attended, one of the questions was - If you had the power to get one law passed, what would it be? I'm still not sure just what the interviewer hoped to find out about me by asking such a question, but my answer was immediate - I would abolish Summer Time. Actually, in retrospect that wasn't exactly what I meant. What I would really like to do away with is the necessity of changing the clocks twice a year - I'm not that bothered about which particular time-zone we ally ourselves with. I live in a fairly standard three-bedroomed semi, so I would imagine that my experience is pretty typical, and last night I once again had to change the time on no less than eleven clocks. And the major problem is that only about half of them are real clocks - the others are digital displays on various pieces of equipment, and because I only have to deal with this twice a year, that means that I can't remember how to do it (they all work differently of course) and that involves getting out the various instruction books (first remembering where you put them last time!) and trying to make sense of the strange English these things tend to be written in. And as for the central heating clock, that involves half emptying the boxroom and then scrobbling on the floor with a torch! Plenty of suggestions in the papers today that we should go on to Central European Time, but that wouldn't solve the problem because they change the clocks as well. I'm sure they hadn't used to - does anyone else remember Two Way Family Favourites where the intro used to change in the summer to reflect the fact that our Summer Time now coincided with their clocks. So here's my suggestion - we (England and Wales) adopt a Standard Time which is half an hour ahead of GMT, and stick with it throughout the year. If the Scots want to do their own thing, let them, and the other European countries of course can decide for themselves. Please???!!

No comments: